WHAT IS ALOO GOBI?
Aloo Gobi – this dry curry made with potatoes and cauliflower is a well-known Indian dish.
The potato and cauliflower curry, known as Aloo Gobi, is a Northern Indian Punjabi specialty enjoyed throughout the Indian subcontinent.
Restaurants often adjust their cooking procedures to enable the last-minute assembly to accommodate a variety of preparation options.
Many people prefer to fry the potatoes first, but I prefer to let the meal cook on low/medium heat until the potatoes melt like butter, while the cauliflower remains a little crunchy.
When it comes to cooking okra, I prefer to use the frying technique.
Main ingredients of Aloo Gobi:
- Russet potatoes
- Cumin seeds
- Coriander seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Green pepper
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Is Aloo Gobi good for your health?
- Cauliflower and potatoes are high in nutrients, making this dish nutritious.
The average number of calories in one serving
- Each serving of this recipe contains only 278 calories.
With this recipe, what are the accompanying dishes?
- Ideally, this dish should be paired with the main course. The following recipes are great for a quick and healthy Indian dinner on a busy weeknight.
- Mango Chutney
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Tandoori Shrimp
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds or regular if cannot find black
- 1 diced medium onion
- 1 Jalapeno or any hot green pepper, sliced (can use seeded or ½ seeded to tone down the heat)
- 1/3-½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 large russet potatoes, cubed
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt or according to taste
- ½ tsp. of coriander seeds, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 small fresh ginger, thin 1 inch, grated on small hole grater or ginger grater
- ½ teaspoon red pepper chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-8 tablespoons water
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- cilantro leaves
- wedges of lime or lemon
- Set the heat to low/medium and warm the oil. Mix in the spices and simmer for a few seconds before serving. Once they strike the oil, the seeds will begin to sputter.
- Before adding the rest of the ingredients, sauté the onion for a few minutes. The mixture should be well-cooked and nearly paste-like before adding the tomato.
- Stir in the turmeric, salt, and four tablespoons of water before adding the red pepper chili powder. The onion, tomato, and spice mixture should be well-coated on the cauliflower florets and diced potatoes before they are added. Let the food cook, covered tightly with a lid. Mix it up from time to time. Check as to whether or not more water is needed.
- For best results, cook for 30 to 45 minutes on low heat until potatoes are tender. As desired, garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with basmati rice or paratha. I only ever use a heat-resistant rubber spatula when I’m baking. Cauliflower and potato cubes retain their shape when gently folded into the mixture.