A layer of soft, jammy apples reminds me of apple pie in this Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake, which is moist and crumbly like a coffee cake.
If you have a few apples that are past their peak, or if you picked more than you expected last weekend, I believe you have discovered their purpose!
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
1/3 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 medium apples (peeled and cored)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven and put it to 175°C/350°F before beginning. An 8-inch/20cm square cake pan should be greased and floured.
2. An 8-inch/20cm square cake pan should be greased and floured. The crumbs for the topping are ready to be made. Combine the sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. A fork can be used to incorporate the melted butter. Stir in the flour until just combined (do not overmix). Dispose of.
3. Get a huge bow then mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon). Mix the brown sugar, oil, and maple syrup into the yogurt in a separate basin.
4. Chop one apple until it is the consistency of a small pea (or grate it using the most significant holes on your box grater).Make a paste by combining the wet and dry materials Cut the second apple into small pieces as well. Set aside the lemon juice.
5. Make sure that you don’t over-mix the dry components with the wet ones. The batter will be pretty thick. Make a smooth layer of batter in the pan by pouring it.
6. The apple slices should cover the entire surface of the cake. Top the apples with the crumb topping.
7. When a toothpick comes out clean, the cake is made baking for 50 minutes. Wait at least 10 minutes before slicing or serving (serve warm or at room temperature).