ASIAN TURKEY LETTUCE CUPS WITH AVOCADO
I once had a dish of stir-fried vegetables and ground pork served with freshly steamed buns in China, and it was delicious. You consume the bread with the delectable filling, creating an excellent taste. This turkey lettuce cup recipe uses ground turkey and lettuce cups for a healthier alternative.
Adding avocado only enhances the flavor of the dish. Everything tastes better with avocado in it. It doesn’t matter if you use iceberg, romaine, or any other lettuce that can handle a filling.
Tofu can be an alternative for the meat in this Asian turkey lettuce cup recipe, or the meat can be omitted entirely. You can replace any of the ingredients to your heart’s content. That’s what’s so cool about this. Make do and mend with whatever you have.
- 1 tbsp. of cooking oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of finely minced ginger
- 225g of turkey meat
- 450g of soybean curd
- 1 diced piece of carrot
- 1 pound of corn
- 1 cup of edamame
- 1 diced onion
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.
- 3 1/2 tbsp. of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of Chinese black vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. of ground red pepper
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado
- Roasted and unsalted peanut
- Sage seeds
1. Get a huge skillet, heat the oil to medium-high heat, and add the onion. Cook the garlic and ginger until fragrant. A few more minutes are needed to brown the ground turkey before serving it.
2. Add another tablespoon of oil after removing the turkey from the skillet. Tofu should be added last. Turn the pan to high heat and break up the tofu into small cubes before adding it to the pan. Ten minutes or so is all that’s needed to get rid of any remaining liquid and begin turning the tofu a darker shade of brown. A quick stir will keep it from catching fire.
3. Add the onion, carrot, corn, and edamame to the pot. Cook for about five minutes, frequently stirring, until the vegetables soften. Re-add the turkey to the pan and heat through.
4. A deep brownish-black color will appear on the veggies once the liquid has drained, so add the vinegar, sesame oil, and two types of soy sauces at this point—Cook the red pepper flakes for one and a half to two minutes after adding them.
5. Simply arrange the iceberg lettuce leaves on a serving platter. Fill each lettuce cup halfway with the mixture and serve. Add avocado slices and chopped peanuts, and sesame seeds for decoration. You can eat these lettuce cups like tacos!