These tofu tacos were inspired by a very ridiculous concept.
My initial reaction when he offered it was a resounding “no,” prompted by unpleasant flashbacks to the cardboardy tofu cubes served at the “Vegan Station” in my college dining hall.
A weekend later, he suggested the same thing to Kaitlin over Skype, and her first reply was just as unexpected. “What? Why?”
Our household enjoys vegetarian meals several times per week. The fact that they don’t consume meat, however, isn’t always something we “note” or even take into account. We do it out of routine now. We don’t need a new reason to eat tofu. I can feel myself transforming into a huge soy puff, à la Violet Beauregard, any day soon.
My dad may be stubborn, but he never backs down from a fight. We decided to give it a go, covering firm tofu in a Sriracha and honey combination before pan-frying it and serving it with tortillas, assorted toppings, and a rather potent green onion cilantro sauce. It was pretty powerful. In all seriousness.
These tofu tacos were created using homemade corn tortillas and required no tortilla press.
Make tortillas by mixing maize masa with water and then frying them. Voilà! Vegetarian tofu tacos with a fusion twist that will shock and enthrall.
- 450g of firm tofu
- 3 scallions
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/4 cup of yogurt
- 1/2 cup of fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- warm corn tortillas
- shredded cheese
- sweet corn
- chopped onion
- chopped tomato
- lime wedges
- Cube the tofu to a size of around 3/4 inches. Place the Sriracha and honey in a large, shallow bowl, then toss the tofu in the mixture carefully.
- Put the cornmeal, spices, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a second, wider, shallow bowl. The tofu should be tossed in the dry ingredients until it is evenly covered.
- Oil should be heated over medium-high heat in a cast-iron or nonstick skillet. Toss in the tofu and turn the pieces, so they brown evenly. In the meantime, combine or process the cilantro, scallions, and yogurt until smooth.
- Wrap your taco fillings in tortillas and top them with sauce and your favorite ingredients.