Is there a most decadent dessert out there than banana cream pie?
There is, of course… Boozy banana cream pie.
I think that’s about all.
- 1 ¾ cup of finely crushed graham crackers
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- 2/3 cup of white sugar (plus 1 tablespoon)
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- 2 cups of milk (2% or whole milk preferred)
- 3 egg yolks (beaten)
- 2 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. of bourbon (divided)
- 4-5 ripe bananas (sliced)
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream (whipping cream)
- Set your oven temperature to 350 degrees. When you combine 6 (85g) tablespoons of crushed cookie crumbs with melted butter, the mixture should resemble wet sand. It should be baked for 5 minutes in a regular baking dish. Allow to cool completely before use.
- Add 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk the milk into the pot while it warms up over medium heat. When the liquid thickens and simmers, continue heating it over medium heat while stirring regularly. Simmer for 2 more minutes, constantly whisking, until the sauce thickens. Remove the pan from the stovetop and set it down.
- Egg yolks and the hot mixture should be whisked together, with a quarter cup of hot mixture being added gradually. Cook for an additional 2 minutes on low heat, stirring constantly. Turn off the stove and remove the mixture. Add the remaining 30 grams of butter, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of bourbon and whisk until smooth. Once it has cooled, remove the pudding from the fridge and serve it. If the pudding thickens too much as it cools, add a small amount of milk at a time to thin it down.
- Add some banana slices to the cold crust. Cover and refrigerate in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.
- Make sure your cream is cool before whipping it up into whipped cream! Using an ice cube tray to keep the mixing bowl cool in a hot summer kitchen is a good idea (this will help the cream whip up nicely). Mix 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon bourbon, whip the cream until it forms peaks, and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Add extra cookie crumbs and whipped cream to the pie before serving. Slice the pie more easily after chilling in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.