You can quickly and easily prepare a flavorful green curry recipe with chicken in a creamy coconut curry sauce. This 20-minute Thai green curry recipe is superior to anything you’ll get at a restaurant since it’s created from scratch with natural ingredients.
GREEN CURRY RECIPE
What is Green Curry?
One of the best Thai recipes is called Gang Kiew Wan in Thai.
Green in color, the curry has a spiciness, aroma, sweetness, and savoriness.
The combination of Thai green curry and steamed white jasmine rice is tasty.
THAI GREEN CURRY
Identifying a Thai curry by its color, red or yellow, is systematic.
There’s Pad Thai, Massaman, and many more, to name a few.
The color of this dish originates from the key ingredient in the green curry paste, which is fresh green chilies. That’s why they call the dish green curry. For the curry paste, below are some of its elements:
- Fresh green chilies
- Cilantro roots or stems (not the leaves)
- Kaffir lime skin and leaves
- Shrimp paste
The traditional method of curry paste is to pound the ingredients in a stone mortar and pestle until everything is finely ground.
For example, I prefer to use the Maesri brand Green Curry Paste in my cooking.
HOW TO MAKE THAI GREEN CURRY CHICKEN?
It takes approximately 15-20 minutes to produce a delicious homemade green curry from preparation to serving time.
- Thai basil leaves
- Fresh red chilies
- Kaffir lime leaves
- Coconut milk
- Fish sauce
- Thai eggplant- Purple and green varieties of these eggplants are used in Thai curries. You can slice each one into halves or quarters before being cooked in the curry. However, they aren’t readily available in the United States unless you plant your tree. Most Thai restaurants in the area use bamboo shoots instead, and my version tastes just like the stuff you get at those places.
First, sauté the curry paste and chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the chicken is cooked through.
Add the water, coconut milk, bamboo shoots, and the rest of the seasonings to the pot and bring to a boil.
For the chicken to be soft and the curry sauce to thicken, cook for more minutes.
To achieve the best outcomes in your kitchen, consider the following ideas:
- You can use Store-bought curry paste to produce authentic and delicious curries.
- Fish sauce, Coconut milk, and curry paste are the key to achieving an ideal balance of heat, creaminess, saltiness, and sweetness in a curry dish.
- Thai food is characterized by four distinct flavors: sweet, sour, salty, and spicy. You can prepare almost any Thai dish at home if you find the right proportion.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
GREEN CURRY VS. RED CURRY
- Do you know how to tell which one is which one? Aside from the color, the primary ingredient in the curry paste is what sets it apart. The red color of red curry comes from dried red chilies.
The average number of calories in one serving?
- Each serving of this recipe contains only 317 calories.
With this recipe, what are its complementary dishes?
Rice, ideally Thai rice, is the ideal accompaniment to this dish. Here are my favorite Thai recipes for a nutritious and quick midweek dinner.
- Five kaffir lime leaves, lightly bruised
- One tablespoon of sugar or palm sugar (preferred)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- One tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves
- 4 oz. (115 g) bamboo shoot
- Eight oz. chicken breast, bite-sized pieces
- Two red chilies, cut into thick strips
- 2 tbsp green curry paste, preferably Maesri brand
- Add the oil to a pot and bring to a simmer. After a few minutes of cooking, the green curry paste until fragrant, adds the chicken, and mix to blend.
- Boil the coconut milk and water in a saucepan.
- Add the red chilies, kaffir lime leaves, and bamboo shoots to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes or until the curry has thickened, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Basil Leaves and sugar are a nice touch. Make sure everything is thoroughly combined by giving it a good stir. Remove your dish from the heat and serve with steamed rice as soon as possible.
- A video tutorial shows you how to do it step by step on this page.