The season for beets has arrived, and you may find that they are reasonably priced at the supermarket right now. Or maybe you have a surplus of beets from your CSA, and you’re stumped on how to use them all! Beets are excellent when prepared in this marinated roasting dish. You may eat them on their own, toss them in a salad, or put them on the side of a grilled steak or fish.
The fresh garlic that has been minced is the dressing’s standout ingredient. Fresh garlic is a must in our house, giving this dressing an extra kick. Although I specified a range (1-3 cloves), I would personally use 3 cloves in my dressing.
- 680g peeled beets (cut into ¼-inch thick)
- 1-3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh herbs for garnish
- Set oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and olive oil, then arrange the beets.
- Beets need to be roasted for 25 minutes. Roast them for 20 minutes, then remove them from the oven to flip them over.
- While that’s going on, whip up some dressing. Mix together 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and some salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, toss the beets with the dressing.
- To serve, sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs (cilantro, scallions, or parsley are all good choices).