Scallion pancakes composed of flour, green onion scallions, and salt are the healthiest and best. You can’t go wrong with this authentic Chinese scallion pancake recipe!
Healthy, vegan, crispy, and delectable, Chinese scallion pancake is a must-try!
Instead of using a battery, these pancakes are created with dough, making them delicious flatbreads.
It is referred to as long you bing or in Mandarin. In China and Taiwan, this delicacy is a popular street meal.
Typical breakfast accompaniments are soy milk, mantou, tea-leaf eggs, or soy sauce eggs.
SCALLION PANCAKES RECIPE
This recipe for scallion pancake recipe was included in my best-selling booklet, “Easy Chinese Recipes,” published in 2011.
The following are the ingredients for the recipe:
- All-purpose flour
HOW TO MAKE SCALLION PANCAKES?
There are two ways to make scallion pancakes:
- In the first approach, you begin by completing the simple dough, rolling it out, and adding the scallion and salt.
- Second, combine the dough, scallion, and salt before rolling out the pancakes.
My friend, a Chinese chef, told me that both procedures are genuine, but the second approach is a “shortcut” and is ideal for beginners. As a result, I prefer the second option, which is simple and error-proof.
The green onion’s earthy aroma and fragrance permeate the dough after mixing it.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS IT VEGAN?
- Yes. This recipe is entirely vegan.
CAN I FREEZE SCALLION PANCAKES?
- You can freeze the pancakes after making them, but I don’t recommend freezing the dough.
- Please keep them in the freezer by sealing them in a plastic bag. Reheat the pancakes in a toaster oven before serving.
HOW TO MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE?
- Pancakes are traditionally served without a dipping sauce. Without a sauce, they are flavorful and delicious.
The average number of calories in one serving?
- Each serving of this recipe contains only 192 calories.
With this recipe, what are its complementary dishes?
A breakfast or appetizer is the best way to enjoy this dish. The recipes below are my personal favorites for a hearty Chinese supper.
- 3 – 4 stalks of green parts of green onion, trimmed and cut into small rounds, to yield about a tightly packed 1/3 cup or more
- 2 tbsp. oil for brushing
- Extra all-purpose flour for dusting and rolling
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, optional
- One teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour with the salt and chicken bouillon powder (if used). Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Remove the water from the stove after it has boiled. After kneading the dough for about 15 minutes, gradually add the water to the flour until it becomes soft and no longer sticky. Adding 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of water will help the dough come together if it’s too crumbly or dry. For 30 minutes, cover the dough with a damp cloth.
- Add the scallions to the dough and knead it thoroughly until smooth.
Step-by-Step on How to Make Scallion Pancakes:
- Divide the dough into eight tiny balls, as shown, on a floured and level surface.
- Roll each dough ball into a thin disc with a rolling pin, one at a time. Use some all-purpose flour to dust the rolling pin continuously. Spritz the pancake with a bit of coating of oil.
- Make a cylinder out of the dough.
- Please put it in a snail’s coil.
Step-by-Step on How to Fry Scallion Pancakes:
- Over moderately high heat, add roughly 1/4-inch (6 mm) of oil to the pan or skillet. Slice a pancake in half and place it on the skillet.
- Fry the pancakes in a shallow pan for approximately a minute on each side or until they are a light golden color. Shallow fry the other side of the pancake, then flip it over.
- Pour in more oil, then repeat for the rest of the pancakes and enjoy immediately. A cup of warm, homemade soy milk is the ideal accompaniment.
- Rather than using one teaspoon of salt while making the dough, use 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt overall.
- You can add one teaspoon of sesame oil to the oil before rolling the pancake into a cylinder, which will enhance the pancake’s scent.
- You may cook the pancakes in a skillet. Add a little oil to your skillet and pan-fry both sides until gently browned with dark brown streaks.