SEA SALT AND CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIES
The age-old riddle is well-known to us all. Making Rice Krispie Goodies is a joyous experience since the treats are delightfully gooey and fresh, the weather is sunny, and you’re on the right path.
Then it’s time for the afternoon. It’s been a few hours since the rice krispie treats were on the counter.
They’ve either hardened into bricks or are hopelessly stuck together since your gooey, marshmallow-y awakening. Or worst, both. As if eating a rock, it hurts the roof of your mouth when you bite into one.
These Chocolate Rice Krispie Nuggets with Sea Salt attempt to hack the Rice Krispie treat and correct a lifetime of overly crunchy and hard Rice Krispie desserts.
What’s the point of a chocolate-covered doughnut? The chocolate functions as a shield, protecting the rice krispie treat’s delicate chemistry from the drying air!
So, why nuggets? Because of their small size and the addition of chocolate, these chocolate rice krispie treats veer into something more deliciously candy-like.
Why sea salt? Why not?!!!
- 6 tbsp. of butter
- 15 oz. of marshmallows (regular-sized or minis)
- 8-12 oz. of bittersweet or dark chocolate (melted)
- 5 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- Flossy salt or coarsely ground sea salt
- Add the butter to a big, deep skillet and bring it to a boil. Add the marshmallows and mix thoroughly when half of the butter has melted. Double-boil the marshmallows until they are completely melted and smooth. Be patient with this procedure; if the marshmallow begins to brown or toast, adjust the heat; everything should remain perfectly white.
- Set up a double boiler with the chocolate while this is taking place. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted. In a bowl, combine marshmallows, cereal, and salt. To get the best results, mix rapidly and thoroughly. Place on wax or parchment paper to prevent smearing. Rice krispie treats can be formed into a rectangular shape with damp palms, about 3/4-1″ thick.
- Cut the rice krispie treats into 2×2″ squares or rectangles with a damp knife for the perfect nugget size!
- On a cooling rack, spread out the nuggets. Take a fork and dip each nugget into the melted chocolate one at a time. To remove extra chocolate, tap the fork on the side of the bowl after turning to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and return to the baking sheet.