Glutinous Sticky Rice Stuffing. Thanksgiving will not be the same without it. If you’re looking for something different to make for Thanksgiving dinner this year than the usual bread stuffing or dressing, this is the recipe for you.
For best results, bake the stuffing for 15 minutes. When this stuffing is roasted, magic happens. It browns nicely on the outside and crisps up on the inside, but the center remains gooey.
EXCELLENT GLUTEN-FREE ALTERNATIVE FOR STUFFING
Since rice is used, this filling can be prepared without any gluten at all. Some minor adjustments can be made, such as switching to a gluten-free soy sauce, using molasses in place of black soy sauce, or substituting another meat for the lop cheung, and I’ve included those comments in the ingredients list (which contains soy sauce).
Simply skip the meat and replace it with roasted and chopped chestnuts, toasted pecans, or toasted pine nuts to make it vegetarian. Using chicken stock is unnecessary if you don’t have any; you may substitute mushroom or vegetable stock instead.
I don’t think anyone will miss the bread if I serve this sticky rice stuffing instead this year. See our extensive collection of Holiday Season Recipes for more delicious Thanksgiving and holiday ideas.
- 8 ounces of thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (or re-constituted dried shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 2 links of sliced Chinese sausage (can
- 2 thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cups of sweet rice/sticky rice
- 1 cup of low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (substitute bacon or any other gluten-free sausage)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce (or molasses to stay gluten-free)
- Assemble the sticky rice (sticky rice). The safest method is to soak it overnight (or at least 6 hours) and then steam it for 40 minutes. Another option is to use a rice cooker with a sweet rice preset.
- To bake a cake, set the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Put 2 tbsp. of oil into a large cast-iron skillet and heat it over medium heat. The onions and the Chinese sausage slices should be added when the oil is heated. Warm for three to five minutes. Caramelize the mushrooms after adding them to the pan.
- Mix in the scallions, chicken stock, soy sauce, black soy sauce, and cooked rice. The rice should be evenly brown after being mixed.
- Distribute the stuffing equally in the baking dish and place it in the oven.
- For 15 minutes, place the stuffing in the oven until the top and bottom are golden and crisp. Serve!