With only a few basic pantry items and within 15 minutes of your time, you can have this delicious kimchi ramen on the table. Spicy, flavorful, and really filling!
REFINING THE INSTANT NOODLE MEAL
Any suggestions about how to improve on a packet of instant ramen would be greatly appreciated. Among our favorite culinary activities is this.
A bowl of instant noodles has always brought back a lot of fond memories for me. I recall everyone squeezing around the stove as we prepared each packet and then everyone sitting down at the kitchen table, putting ice cubes in their bowls. Young age.
You should make this immediately if you have a packet of instant noodles in your cupboard. The kimchi adds a nice kick to the dish, and the flavor is much more robust than a conventional seasoning packet.
- 5 thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 package of instant noodles
- 1 julienned scallion
- ½ cup of chopped cabbage kimchi
- ¼ cup of kimchi juice
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of Korean red pepper powder or gochugaru
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- Combine the mushrooms and vegetable oil in a medium saucepan. Toss for three minutes. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes after adding the kimchi.
- Mix kimchi juice, Korean red pepper powder, sugar, and sesame oil in the stock.
- Bring to a boil in a small saucepan and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, break out the instant ramen. Throw away the seasoning packet and cook the noodles as directed. Place the finished noodles in a bowl. Toss your noodles with the scallions and pour your broth on top!
- Nota bene: the noodles can also be boiled right in the soup if that’s your preference!