PENANG CHAR HOR FUN
Make this flavourful Asian dish in your own kitchen with this easy-to-follow guide.
In Penang, there is a saying or myth regarding Char Hor Fun: if you want to win your girlfriend’s heart as a bachelor, go to the greatest Char Hor Fun in town and take her there as often as you can. I’m sure this is unique to Penang.
“Ta pau” (take out) is also a great way to win the hearts of your future parents in law; they’ll appreciate it. However, Char Hor Fun is a Chinese staple, and there are numerous ways to make it.
The meal is known as “Wat Tan Hor” in Kuala Lumpur, where I went to college. Despite the fact that the dish is basically the same, the presentation is a little different and eggs are utilized in the gravy, which translates to “wat tan” in Cantonese, which translates to “smooth eggs.”
Rad Na, a Thai dish identical to this, is also popular in Vietnamese cuisine. Regardless of the variations in ingredients and garnishes, all of these tacos are fantastic.
Penang Char Hor Fun, in my opinion, is still the greatest.
Try my recipe and serve this dish to your partner if you are a bachelor. Make a few extras for your future in-laws’ parents, too.
Each serving of this recipe has only 400 calories.
- 1/2 pack of flat rice noodles
- 1/2 pack of vermicelli
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of kecap manis
- 12 peeled and deveined shrimp
- 12 thin pieces of fish cake
- 12 pieces of pork meat
- 12 bay scallops
- 1/2 can of chicken broth
- 5 stalks of chinese mustard green
- 1 1/4 cup of water
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon of fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 dashes of white pepper powder
- Allow the vermicelli to soak for 15 minutes or until it is pliable. Take a bucket and drain the water.
- Peel the layers off of the flat rice noodles. Set aside for later.
- 1 1/2 tbsp of frying oil should be heated in a wok. A little stir will do the trick. Soy sauce and kecap manis are added to the vermicelli and stirred until they are well incorporated into the vermicelli mixture. The vermicelli should be gently browned at this point. Prepare the meal and place it in a safe place.
- Flat rice noodles can be prepared in the same way. Toss everything together and put it away.
- Stir-fry the minced garlic in some oil in a wok until it’s fragrant.
- Toss in the fish cake and the rest of the ingredients before serving.
- It’s time to add the chicken broth and 1 1/4 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil after adding all of the seasonings.
- Thicken the gravy using the starch mixture.
- Whisk in the mustard greens after removing the pan from the heat.
- Flat rice noodles should be placed next to the fried vermicelli.
- Mix noodles and vermicelli with sauce and garnishes. Serve it hot.