This recipe for pan-fried chicken breasts is a fast and easy option for dinner or meal prepping. The chicken is kept tender and juicy thanks to the velveting effect of oil and cornstarch in this simple but flavorful marinade that also has umami-rich ingredients like oyster sauce and mild soy sauce.
The outcome is an appetizing chicken breast that can be used in various ways, including salads, sandwiches, wraps, spaghetti, and more.
Every chicken breast you make using this method will be juicy and full of flavor. Despite the use of Chinese ingredients like oyster sauce, light soy sauce, and rice wine (you may also use dry cooking sherry), the chicken does not have an “Asian” flavor. It’s a versatile ingredient that may be used in any dish.
- 1 – 1 1/4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2-3 tablespoon of water
- 2 tablespoons of any neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon of finely minced garlic (or substitute
- 2 teaspoons of oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper or white pepper
- To get 4 pieces of chicken roughly half the thickness of the 2 original chicken breasts, carefully butterfly each breast and then split the two halves.
- Lightly pound the chicken breast with the back of your knife, paying extra attention to the thicker parts. The flesh is made more soft and uniform in thickness as a result of this process.
- Light soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, oyster sauce, pepper, garlic, and chicken breast pieces should be combined in a bowl. Combine ingredients thoroughly by hand. Then, add 2-3 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon at a time, combining with your hands between additions, until the chicken has absorbed the liquid completely (using 2 tablespoons for 1 pound of chicken and up to 3 tablespoons for 1 1/4 pounds).
- Marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature or longer if desired. Cornstarch should be mixed into the marinated chicken right before it goes into the oven.
- Oil should be heated over medium heat in a pan that is either nonstick or cast iron. Spread the chicken breasts out in a single layer in the pan.
- Fry in a pan over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once every 2 minutes to ensure equal cooking.