These roasted root vegetables with a miso sauce are a new family favorite for the fall. I use one of my favorite methods for preparing all root vegetables—roasting—in this vegetable side dish. The miso glaze adds a layer of complexity with its buttery, salty, and slightly sweet notes.
IT WOULD GO WELL WITH ANY RECIPES YOU MAKE THIS FALL
When I first thought of this dish, I immediately thought of Thanksgiving. However, it turns out to be a fantastic complement to any autumn dish. Carrots, beets, and onions were what I used, but you could substitute any of the fall harvest’s bounty of root vegetables, such as parsnips, turnips, radishes, butternut squash, acorn squash, or pumpkin.
The roasted root veggies look like brilliant jewels on the white plate. It’s all about using a rainbow of colorful vegetables. I used a rainbow of carrots and beets from the grocery store: red, white, yellow, and orange carrots; golden beets; and standard red beets.
- 450g of scrubbed carrots (cut into large chunks)
- 8 peeled medium beets (cut into thin wedges)
- 2 cloves of sliced garlic
- 1 large peeled red onion (cut into wedges)
- 1 scallion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of miso paste
- 2 tablespoons of mirin
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Set the oven to 425 degrees. The oven needs to be heated to 425 degrees F. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add salt and pepper to taste, and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- After 45 minutes in the oven, the vegetables should have a crisp exterior.
- The glaze should be prepared in the last 10 minutes of roasting. Butter should be melted over low to medium heat in a saucepan. Toss in the garlic and let it cook for three minutes. Incorporate the miso paste, mirin, maple syrup, and cinnamon using a whisk. Blow off excess steam and boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetables, toss, and then place them on a serving plate. Sprinkle some onions on top if you like. Serve the Roasted Root Vegetables with a Miso Glaze!