Discovering a Culinary Diamond
Ever indulged in soy sauce-infused fried rice and wondered, “Can this get any better?” Meet the “Ultimate” version of this dish – a whimsical spin from my own kitchen following a foodie adventure.
Inspiration Strikes in Shanghai
On a recent visit to Shanghai, the heartland of soy sauce aficionados, I was intrigued to find soy sauce fried rice on many restaurant menus. Yet, the vibrant city failed to serve a version that resonated with me – it felt soulless and lacked depth. Puzzling!
Reflecting on the immense love our Cantonese Soy Sauce Pan Fried Noodles recipe has garnered, a brainwave hit me! Its Chinese moniker implies “Supreme Soy Sauce,” and it struck me: why not infuse that enchanting sauce into fried rice, evolving it into the Ultimate Soy Sauce Fried Rice? The outcome? A plateful that, while reminiscent of Shanghai offerings, is galaxies away in terms of taste.
Crafting the Perfect Fried Rice: Secrets Unveiled
Before diving into the recipe, here are some insights to elevate your fried rice:
- Elevate your eggs by adding a touch of Shaoxing (or rice) wine. The aroma? Unbeatable.
- Clumped rice? A smidgen of water or Shaoxing wine, and the steam will do its magic.
- While day-old rice is touted as the fried rice gold standard, we’ve showcased that fresh rice can work wonders too. Simply reduce the water content by 15-20%. A revisit to our rice guide might be insightful.
- A fish sauce drizzle is like a jolt of energy for your fried rice. Trust it.
The “Ultimate Soy Sauce” Magic
The allure of this fried rice lies in the Supreme Soy Sauce. While most chefs guard their versions zealously, we believe in sharing the love. The crux? Pre-cooking the sauce to intensify its flavor, akin to reductions, but quicker. This sauce is my pride and joy – versatile enough to be paired with noodles, stir-fries, or even plain rice.
For the Soy Sauce Elixir:
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
For the Ultimate Fried Rice:
- 3 eggs (whisked)
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- Salt (season as desired)
- 3 tablespoons oil (divided)
- 6 cups prepared rice (cooled)
- 3 scallions (meticulously chopped)
- Commence with the soy sauce blend: Merge all sauce elements in a petite saucepan over moderate heat. Stir till sugar melts. Upon boiling, halt the heat. It’s primed for the rice or cool it for later use in a sealed container.
- To the whisked eggs, infuse 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine and a sprinkle of salt. Amplify the wok’s heat, pour in 1 tablespoon of oil, and briskly scramble the eggs. Once done, set them aside.
- Diminish the heat to medium, introducing 2 tablespoons of oil. Gently stir the rice for a few moments till warmed thoroughly. Now, pour in the soy sauce blend and the pre-cooked eggs. Combine everything flawlessly. A quick taste can guide any salt addition. Culminate with scallions, mix, and serve this masterpiece!