Embracing Quick and Delicious!
Amidst the panorama of culinary marvels, some dishes shine not only for their flavors but also for their rapid preparation. A notable beacon in this quick-cooking realm is the Thai basil chicken, also known as Gai Pad Krapow, which boasts not just speed but sheer sumptuousness.
This isn’t your typical hurried dish where you’re racing against the clock, a la some cooking shows where dishes are hastily thrown together with a sigh of relief. Instead, picture a serene culinary dance, lasting only 10 minutes, where each step is performed with grace and poise. Ready for the breakdown? Let’s dive right in.
Your 10-Minute Thai Basil Chicken Journey
- Minute 1: Stroll to your fridge, and fetch that pack of ground chicken. Proceed to slice up 3 chilies; no need for finesse here.
- Minute 2: Your mission is the shallots – peel and slice three. A little insider tip? A red onion stands as a worthy alternative if shallots elude you.
- Minute 3: Next in line, 5 garlic cloves. A gentle smash with your knife’s side, and they’re all set for slicing.
- Minute 4: Fire up that wok on maximum heat. Pour in some oil and introduce it to your prepped chilies, shallots, and garlic.
- Minute 5: As these ingredients sizzle, give them a gentle stir, letting their flavors meld.
- Minute 6: Enter ground chicken! Start to crumble and mix it in.
- Minute 7: Watch in awe as the chicken swiftly browns, thanks to that roaring flame.
- Minute 8: Add in sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce, mastering the art of stir-frying.
- Minute 9: Time for a splash of broth and a handful of either holy basil or Thai basil leaves.
- Minute 10: Give it a final stir, ensuring the basil melds well, and voila, dinner’s served!
Just picture this aromatic dish alongside a bowl of steamed rice, perfect for soaking up those flavors.
A Basil Highlight
The “Pad krapow” experience is traditionally amplified with holy basil. If you spot it at a local Asian mart, it’s gold! However, Thai basil or even Italian basil can fill in, delivering a fantastic flavor profile.
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 3 Thai bird chilies or holland chilies (thinly sliced; can de-seed if preferred)
- 3 shallots (sliced to perfection)
- 5 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 pound minced chicken
- 2 teaspoons sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (low sodium) or water
- A generous bunch of holy or Thai basil leaves
Steps to Sizzle
- With your wok blazing on high heat, swirl in the oil, chilies, shallots, and garlic. Let them dance together for about 1-2 minutes. Welcome the chicken next, breaking and mixing for another 2 minutes.
- Time for the sweet (sugar) and savory (soy sauce and fish sauce) to join the fray. As these flavors meld, splash in the broth to deglaze, evaporating swiftly given the heat.
- Conclude with the basil leaves, stir-frying them until they surrender to the heat and wilt. Your delectable dish is now ready to be paired with rice. Enjoy every bite!