The recipe for bn gà nng, a Vietnamese rice noodle salad with chicken, is perfect for those who want to beat the summer heat without sacrificing flavor.
It’s easy to see why, on a hot, muggy day, people in the streets of Vietnam or in a stuffy city apartment might be looking for this refreshing, delectable Vietnamese rice noodle salad.
The rice noodles can be ready in under 10 minutes, and the only extra stove work is searing some chicken thighs.
All the remaining components, including crisp bean sprouts, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, and herbs, are served raw and topped with nuoc cham, a popular and tasty Vietnamese condiment.
What is Nuoc Cham?
Nuoc cham is a thin sauce that combines salty, sweet, sour, and spicy characteristics. Deliciousness ensues when water is added to fish sauce, lime juice/vinegar, garlic, sugar, and chile.
You might think of it as the dressing for this Vietnamese noodle salad, but it’s traditionally used as a dipping sauce or condiment for things like Vietnamese summer rolls and fried spring rolls (cha gio).
Therefore, if the summertime heat is getting you down, try this Vietnamese rice noodle salad recipe. Take a look at this recipe for making it!
For the chicken and marinade:
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
For the Nuoc Cham Sauce:
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 de-seeded red chili (sliced)
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 1/4 cup of fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar or white vinegar
To assemble the bowls:
- 7 ounces of dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 6 leaves of romaine lettuce (finely julienned)
- 1 large carrot (julienned)
- 1 seedless cucumber (julienned)
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- Vegetable oil
- Marinate the chicken thighs in a medium bowl with the marinade ingredients for 30 minutes to 1 hour while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Stir the sugar into the nuoc cham sauce until it has completely dissolved. If necessary, give it a try and tweak the proportions.
- To prepare rice vermicelli noodles, boil them as directed on the package. Then, drain and wash the sink out with cold water. Done. Colander it and put it aside.
- A cast-iron skillet, grill pan, or frying pan should be heated with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. To ensure the chicken is cooked through, sear it for about 4 minutes per side. Put aside on a platter.
- The salad is assembled by tossing together cooked rice noodles, romaine lettuce, mint, bean sprouts, julienned carrots and cucumber, and cilantro. Chicken thighs can be easily sliced and added to a salad. Prepare your nuoc cham sauce and serve.