BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
Buffalo Chicken Dip is what it sounds like. This dip has all the fantastic flavors you’d expect from a plate of buffalo wings, but instead of wing sauce, you’ll find plenty of blue cheese, ranch, and cream cheese (because, well, there’s cream cheese).
Toss in a generous amount of crumbled cheddar cheese, then cover the entire dish with a great layer of parmesan cheese, as if a blanket of snow were to fall on top.
Our cousins from the greater Buffalo area didn’t tell us that this decline was a betrayal of trust sooner. In the back of my parents’ minivan, a congealed mass of smoky cheese and chicken had been transported from Buffalo, New York, to our house in New Jersey, where I first encountered it.
It wasn’t until I took a mouthful of a tortilla chip that I realized what I’d done: I had no self control and was curious about anything covered in melted cheese. This dip was unrivaled. It was extraordinary in every way.
- 2 chicken breasts (skins and bones still attached)
- 2 tbsp. of butter (melted)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8 oz. of cream cheese (225g, at room temperature)
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt (120g)
- ½ cup of milk (120 ml)
- ½ cup of blue cheese crumbles (70g)
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese (250g, divided)
- 1½ tbsp. of Ranch seasoning mix
- ½ cup of hot sauce (a buffalo wing sauce, such as Frank’s)
- 2 scallions (finely chopped, with white and green parts separated)
- To begin, prepare the chicken by marinating and roasting it. Set the oven or preheat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare the ingredients. The chicken should be covered in the sauce. Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper evenly over the chicken. 3 hours to 3 hours and 10 min.
- Shred the meat when it has cooled down a bit. Alternatively, you may prepare a simple chicken stock by simmering the bones and skin for an hour in a small saucepan with just enough water to come two or three inches above the chicken bones. This type of stock can be used as a substitute for water while steaming rice or as a flavorful addition to stir-fried veggies. Never throw anything away if you can avoid it.
- On top of that, combine the chicken with the 8 ounces of cream cheese and greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of blue cheese crumbles, 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese (shredded), 1/2cup hot sauce, and the white parts of the scallions.
- Serve with the remaining 1 1/4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in a small baking dish.
- The cheese should be melted and bubbling after 30 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use the scallion greens as a garnish.
- This dish would be delicious with a side of celery, red bell pepper pieces, toasted bread, or tortilla chips.