An Unforgettable Evening with Rum Cake
On a crisp winter evening, surrounded by family friends, the allure of an olive oil & pecan rum cake beckoned from the dessert table. As a typical teenager, my early focus was on delightful cheeses and snacks. Yet, as time flowed, that cake promised more than just sweetness—it whispered of memories waiting to unfold.
Amidst the desserts was a golden rum cake, which beckoned me closer. And oh, what a joy it was! Every bite was a dance of sweetness, moistness, and that gentle embrace of rum. The experience was so heartwarming, it fueled my passion to recreate that enchanting flavor at home.
In my culinary journey, I chanced upon a mesmerizing recipe by the talented Alejandra from Always Order Dessert. With a nod to her genius, I infused it with my own personal touches.
The Magical Touches We Added
Choosing pecans over walnuts added a rustic charm. Olive oil replaced vegetable oil, deepening the flavor. The extra dash of vanilla brought in a touch of warmth, and we skipped the rum syrup to keep the rum’s embrace gentle and comforting.
DIY Vanilla Pudding Mix (or use 1 cup of store-bought instant vanilla pudding mix):
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
Main Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup pecans, finely crushed
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces/110g)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. If opting for a homemade touch, prepare your vanilla pudding mix. With the aroma wafting, preheat your oven to 325°F.
2. Lovingly grease and flour a bundt pan, sprinkling half of the crushed pecans at its heart. Keep it close, along with the remaining pecans for later.
3. In the warm embrace of an electric mixer, blend sugar and butter together until they become one. Gently introduce 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Meanwhile, in a separate haven, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
4. Whisper the dry mix into the butter and sugar union, followed by the pudding mix. Watch as they come together like long-lost friends.
5. In a tranquil corner, meld together eggs, milk, rum, vanilla, and the rest of the olive oil. As you blend, let them pour into the awaiting dry mixture, forming a silky batter.
6. Now, let the remaining pecans join forces with the extra flour and sugar, sprinkling this mixture over the batter like the first snowfall.
7. Allow the cake to bask in the oven’s warmth for 50-60 minutes. If its heart seems not fully set, let it linger a little longer, 10-15 minutes should suffice.
8. Let the cake rest and reminisce in the pan for 20-30 minutes before you unveil its beauty onto a platter. Relish every bite, every memory!