Brace yourselves, kids, because we’re going to be using bacon to package some items today with this Pork Chop Sticky Rice with Bacon.
My verdict: this bacon-wrapped treat is superior to any and all others.
Are you not immediately hungry after reading those words for a pound of bacon?
My aunt, who also contributed to the creation of another family favorite, Sticky Rice Chicken, was the inspiration behind this dish.
The skin-on chicken thighs retain a lot of moisture, which is why the chicken version of this dish is so successful. The outer covering or skin.
If you want to use this method with center-cut pork chops, you’ll need to find a porky substitute that offers the same benefit. Bacon is the closest thing we have to a pig analog. Specifically, one slice is cut in a zigzag pattern across the top of each chop. And the end result is spectacular. Get there. Try it. Enjoy it a lot.
Ideas for complementary dishes to round out this meal? Perhaps some of my dad’s easy-to-prepare Garlicky Broccoli, or maybe some stir-fried bok choy?
All right, here’s the recipe.
FOR THE PORK CHOPS AND MARINADE:
- 8 boneless center cut pork chops
- 1 ½ tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
YOU’LL ALSO NEED:
- 8 oz. of roughly chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 8 slices of bacon
- 4 chopped scallions
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 5 cups of cooked sticky rice
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- Toss the meat with the marinade ingredients. Put in a marinade for an hour and put aside.
- Oil should be heated in a big pan or wok over medium heat. When the onions and shiitake mushrooms have softened, add them to the pan. Sticky rice and scallions should be stirred in after cooking. Mix in the dark soy sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Put away from heat and let cool.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and get your oven ready. Depending on how many pork chops you have, portion out the rice mixture and wrap each one in a pork chop. Put the rice side down into a baking dish.
- Then, arrange a bacon strip in a zigzag pattern on top. The chicken broth should be poured in until it reaches the smallest cracks in the plate.
- Put in oven and bake for about 20 minutes. Then broil for three to five minutes on the lowest oven rack. You can’t just ignore it as it boils! Maintain vigilance to avoid getting burned.
- It’s best if you serve the Pork Chop Sticky Rice with Bacon immidiately.