Sadly, this beautiful summer will soon be over. I’d want to get in one last go-around of this very simple summer poached chicken recipe with ginger scallion sauce before the season ends.
Chicken, ginger, scallions, light soy sauce, oil, sugar, and water are all you need to make this dish. On warm evenings, it can be cooked in advance and served at room temperature.
If you’re still finding the days long and your cooking patience short, this new chicken meal will help you get through the rest of the year.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- 3 slices of ginger
- 1 scallion
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 scallions
- 1/2 cup of water
- 15 grams of minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Bring roughly 4 cups of water and 3 slices of ginger and 1 scallion to a boil in a medium pot. Bring the water to a boil once more, then lower the chicken into the pot. Make sure the heat is low, cover it, and let it simmer for 10 minutes. The ideal temperature is one where the water is gently churning but not bubbling or rolling.
- Take the chicken off the heat after 10 minutes, but leave it in the pot with the lid on to keep it warm for another 15 minutes.
- Using boneless, skinless chicken breasts allows you to cut the cooking time in half to 5 minutes, however, you’ll still want to let the chicken rest in the pot for 15 minutes once the heat has been turned off.
- In order to determine if the chicken is done cooking, pierce it in the thickest part and see if the juices run clear.
- To prevent the chicken from continuing to cook after it has been removed from the pot, submerge it in ice water for 5 minutes. A platter of shredded meat.
- The sauce is made by cooking the white parts of the scallions in 3 tablespoons of oil over medium/low heat until they are crisp and barely browned.
- Pick out the scallion’s whites and add them to the top of the shredded chicken. The chicken can be finished off in the leftover oil by adding 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, and 1/2 cup of the water used to cook the chicken.
- To bring it to a boil, stir it frequently. Combine the ginger and sliced scallion greens. Adjust the seasoning with extra salt or soy sauce to taste. Reheat and pour over the chicken as it boils.
- Serve the delicious poached chicken with ginger scallion sauce!