A Quick and Delightful Beef and Veggie Feast
This savory beef and veggie sauté melds the lushness of tender beef with the crunch of garden-fresh vegetables, unified in a zestful sauce. Evoking genuine Chinese culinary traditions, it’s an ideal reprieve following an exhaustive day.
Adapting with Your Veggie Stock
Bok choy takes center stage in this recipe. However, the origins of this dish harken back to traditional Chinese restaurant menus featuring the “beef with bok choy” item. While bok choy offers a delightful crunch and sweetness, the true charm of this dish lies in its adaptability. Incorporate any vegetables you have on hand – be it carrots, celery, onions, or snow peas. We’ve chosen a blend of bok choy, bunashimeji mushrooms, and snap peas, but the beauty is truly in its versatility.
Bok choy stands out not just for its taste, but its health benefits as well. Various types of bok choy exist, each offering a unique texture and flavor profile.
Ready When You Are
A key factor that ensures this dish’s success is your preparation strategy. Recollecting days when family, work, and household chores clamored for attention, advanced meal preparation was the saving grace. Pre-slicing veggies and marinating meat the night before ensured a swift dinner assembly the following evening.
Also, if beef isn’t your choice of protein, this dish is just as delightful with pork, chicken, or tofu. Ending your day with this nourishing meal feels like a reward.
For Beef Marination:
- 12 ounces flank steak, thinly sliced (2-3 inches long)
- 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the Main Dish:
- 4 cups bok choy, cleaned and chopped
- ¾ cup Bunashimeji or Beech mushrooms, cleaned
- ¾ cup snap peas or snow peas, cleaned
- ½ cup warm water or beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons regular soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon enhanced soy sauce (or mushroom dark soy sauce if available)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (use as required)
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (blend with 1 tablespoon water)
- Coat the beef slices with marinade ingredients and let them rest for 30 minutes. Prep your vegetables during this time.
- Blend water or beef broth with sesame oil, soy sauces, oyster sauce, and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat your wok with 2 tablespoons of oil. Once smoking, add beef, allowing it to sear on both sides. Transfer semi-cooked beef to a plate.
- In the heated wok, add ginger and a tablespoon of oil. After a few seconds, introduce garlic, followed by mushrooms. Sprinkle with Shaoxing wine.
- Incorporate snap peas and bok choy, stir-frying until the bok choy starts wilting. Introduce the beef and the sauce blend, combining everything.
- Aim for that wok-fried aroma by ensuring everything comes in contact with the wok’s sides.
- Add the cornstarch blend to the wok’s center and mix vigorously. The sauce should coat the ingredients without pooling at the bottom.
- Turn off the heat, serve your delectable Beef and Veggie Sauté over a plate of warm rice, and relish the flavors!