TOFU SALAD FROM CHINA
This Chinese tofu salad, made with fresh summer vegetables and a light protein, is one of my go-to meals during the hot summer months.
ABOUT FIVE-SPICED TOFU
Five-spiced tofu is a go-to ingredient for me during the warmer months. You don’t have to cook it; it’s fully prepared and delicious. We hope our Chinese Tofu Salad serves as the inspiration you need to whip up something light and refreshing for dinner.
In this refreshing summer salad, we use five-spiced tofu noodles. Additionally, regular blocks of five-spiced tofu can be cut into juliennes just as easily.
Create your version of this recipe.
This Chinese tofu salad can be served in a variety of ways. It’s possible to spice things up by adding beets, asparagus, or zucchini noodles to the vegetables I used in this dish.
You can use any of them in this salad if they can be eaten uncooked. If you don’t have access to an ice bath, you can just blanch the vegetables before adding them to the mix.
Whether as a main dish or a side dish, this Chinese tofu salad is sure to please. It will be much easier to enter and exit the kitchen quickly when it is hot and muggy outside.
- 1 cup of red bell pepper(julienned)
- 1 cup of red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup of carrot (julienned)
- 1 cup of cucumber (julienned)
- 1 cup of celery (julienned)
- 8 oz. of shredded spiced tofu (tofu “noodles”)
- 1 tbsp. of light olive oil
- 1 tsp. of garlic (minced)
- 1½ tsp. of sugar
- ¼ tsp. of ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp. of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. of Chinese black vinegar
- 1 tsp. of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. of toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup of cilantro (chopped)
- Make sure the vegetables are clean and dry completely before storing them. Toss all ingredients, including the tofu, in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, sugar, white pepper, light soy sauce, black vinegar, sesame oil, and toasted sesame seeds. Combine all ingredients in a bowl to ensure the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the sauce combination to the vegetables and tofu, and then garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve either cold or room temperature by tossing and shaking.