BUFFALO CHICKEN POTSTICKERS
With a stack of dumpling wrappers, you’ll be doing something unusual today. This recipe for buffalo chicken potstickers uses ground chicken, Frank’s hot sauce, a lot of cheese, and a few additional ingredients instead of the traditional vegetable or pork fillings. For the simple reason that it is the proper thing to do.
I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this sooner; it’s brilliant. While I’ll always prefer Chinese-style dumplings, this Americanized version is a refreshing change of pace. Buffalo chicken potstickers? That’s a mouthful. What’s the harm in trying?
Putting this dish together is a breeze. To make a dumpling wrapper from scratch, you can use this vegetable dumpling recipe or this dumpling wrapper recipe if you want to use store-bought dumpling wrappers. You can fold them in under 30 minutes if you enlist the assistance of a friend.
- 4 tbsp. of oil (divided)
- 1 medium-size onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1 pound of ground chicken (450g)
- 1/2 cup of Frank’s hot sauce (120 ml)
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 48 dumpling wrappers (round wrappers)
- 1/4 cup of blue cheese (crumbled)
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- Bring a medium-sized pan to a boil with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the ground chicken, spicy sauce, cheese, and salt & pepper to taste to a mixing bowl and wait for the onion and celery to become transparent.
- Put about 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of each dumpling wrapper and fold in half. It’s also possible to pleat them, as demonstrated in this thread.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a cast iron or nonstick skillet and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Add the potstickers and cook until they are golden brown. When the bottoms are golden brown, add 1/3 cup of water to the pan and continue cooking. Steam the potstickers until the water has evaporated, then remove them from the heat.
- While that’s cooking, combine the sour cream or yogurt with the blue cheese and green onion—salt and pepper. In addition to the blue cheese sauce, serve the dumplings.