Dive into this Cashew Chickpea Curry, and here’s why:
- For those moments when the craving for Indian flavors strikes, the cashew chickpea curry: A vegan delight is a true savior. Believe me, the fusion of curry, rice, and naan is an eternal temptation.
- Purely vegan, but with the rich flavors that make you question if it really is!
- Bursting with taste and yet, an absolute breeze to whip up.
Smart Substitutions for Wholesome Eating:
When charting a path to healthier eating, it’s the substitutions that make a difference rather than outright eliminations. Opt for brown rice over white, or white chicken meat over dark, and maybe olive oil in lieu of butter. A complete denial, especially of something like carbs, can transform me into a ball of impatience and irritability. And trust me, I speak from experience.
Thus, when SmartMade approached us for a Smart Swap, the idea was to innovate with nourishing substitutes. This resulted in our delectable Cashew Chickpea Curry, a complete vegan treat. Abandoning butter and ghee, it embraces cashew milk, offering the rich creaminess usually provided by heavy cream or yogurt.
SmartMade resonates with home-like meals, freezing the essence of your culinary expertise. Forget those disappointing frozen dinners; think more of dishes like Spicy Peanut Chicken with Broccoli or Roasted Vegetables paired with Angel Hair pasta. But when you have a few moments to spare, remember this curry. It’s spicy, satiating, with the subtle sweetness of cashew milk and coconut. The remnant is as good as the freshly made, perfect for dinner or lunch.
Here’s to smarter, flavorful choices!
- ½ cup cashews (toasted)
- 1 mid-sized onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger, fresh
- 2 teaspoons chili spice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 30 oz. chickpeas (equivalent to 2 cans or 850g)
- 3 tablespoons tomato concentrate
- Salt & pepper to taste
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups of cashew-based milk
- Combine the toasted cashews, onion, garlic, ginger, spices, and coconut in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer this mixture to a pot on medium heat, introducing the vegetable oil. Sauté for about 5 minutes, ensuring constant stirring.
- Incorporate the chickpeas, tomato concentrate, salt, pepper, and lemon zest, and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Lower the heat and introduce the cashew milk, letting the curry simmer gently. Allow it to simmer for 15 minutes until the consistency slightly thickens.
- Relish this delightful curry with steamed basmati rice and crisped naan.