CHEESY KALE PROSCIUTTO BRUNCH MELTS WITH EGGS
Help is at hand.
These cheesy kale prosciutto brunch melts are a lot more spectacular than your ordinary slice of dry toast. However, you can save time the next day by making the “melt mixture” the night before. It only takes a few minutes to lightly toast English muffins in the toaster oven, then top them with melted cheese and scrambled eggs. This is almost as simple as pouring cereal, but it is far superior.
Even before I started making these melts, we had some that I had toasted and slathered with salted butter.
- 4 pieces of English muffins, split in half and lightly toasted
- 4 oz. of softened cream cheese
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of kale
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 sliced clove of garlic
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- The garlic should be sautéed in olive oil that has been heated to a medium temperature. Toss in the finely chopped kale after cooking for one minute more. Cook the kale until it is soft and wilted, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix up the cooked kale with the cheddar and cream cheese in a large mixing basin. To assemble, give everything a good stir. Over each lightly toasted English muffin half, spread a generous amount of mixture and broil on low heat for 3-4 minutes, until the bread is golden brown.
- Cook the eggs sunny side up in a skillet with a little oil over medium heat while that’s going on. Prosciutto melts can be served with eggs with prosciutto on top.