Curry clams in a savory curry sauce are juicy and tasty. This street food classic can be recreated at home with my simple recipe for Malaysian clams.
Curry clams from hawker stalls selling “Ikan Panggang” (grilled fish) are a must-order whenever I visit Malaysia.
Although fish is their primary product, these vendors provide a wide variety of grilled seafood.
Clams are a personal favorite of mine. Cooked with curry powder and other ingredients and then grilled on a flat griddle, fresh, juicy, and salty clams come to mind.
My mouth is watering at the mere notion of it.
You don’t need to travel to Malaysia to make my simple curry clam recipe at home. Ingredients for this clam recipe include only a few:
- Curry powder
- Manila clams, cherrystone clams, or any hard-shelled clams
- Oyster sauce
- Chili sauce
I prefer Manila clams in this recipe, but you can use any clams you choose.
This dish is full of flavor because of the clams’ sweet and salty taste and the aromatic curry powder.
What is the average number of calories in one serving?
- Each serving of this recipe contains only 218 calories.
With this recipe, what are its complementary dishes?
I’ve compiled a collection of recipes that are both healthy and quick enough to prepare on a weeknight.
- CHICKEN SATAY
- SHRIMP FRITTERS
- PEANUT SAUCE
- BEEF RENDANG
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 1/2 lb. manila clams
- 1 tbsp. Malaysian Lingham’s hot sauce or chili-garlic sauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, or to taste
- Rinse the clams entirely in cold water, scrub the shells, and drain the water.
- Add the cooking oil to the pan and sauté the onion for a few minutes until it’s slightly browned. Stir in the clams and cook for a few minutes. Add curry powder, turmeric powder, hot sauce/chili sauce, oyster sauce, and water to the clams as soon as they begin to open. For a few minutes or when all clams are open, place a lid on the pan and cook it.
- Stir in the scallions until well-combined. Serve soon after preparing the food.