Only soy sauce and sweet soy sauce are needed to make this dish. For an aromatic, I prefer shallots, although onion works just as well.
The lack of Malaysian recipes on my blog has made me question whether or not my site’s name is still appropriate for its current content.
As a native Malaysian, I’ll never lose my passion, love, and enthusiasm for Malaysian cuisine. Actually, I’m saving my Malaysian recipes in case I have the chance to write a Malaysian cookbook someday.
One of my favorite beef dishes to make at home is Daging Masak kicap or soy sauce beef. This is a simple Malay dish, but the flavor is out of this world.
A soft piece of beef, soy sauce, and sweet soy sauce is all that is needed. I like shallots, but onion works just as well when it comes to flavor.
For a traditional Malaysian supper, I serve the sauce over steaming white rice with a side of sambal belacan.
This soy sauce beef recipe is a must-try!
What is the average number of calories in one serving?
- Each serving of this recipe contains only 408 calories.
With this recipe, what are its complementary dishes?
I’ve compiled a collection of recipes that are both healthy and quick enough to prepare on a weeknight.
- BRAISED BEAN CURD WITH MUSHROOMS (FIRM TOFU)
- ASAM PEDAS FISH
- BAK KUT TEH
- AYAM MASAK MERAH
- 8 oz. beef flap meat, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce (to taste)
- 3 tbsp. sweet soy sauce (kicap/kecap manis)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly (or 1/4 onion, sliced)
- Rinse the beef and chop it into pieces across the grain. Set away once you’ve dried off.
- In a wok, heat up the oil. If you’re using oil, add the shallots and cook for a few minutes until they are fragrant or have turned a light brown color. Stir in the beef to the wok a few times. The meat should be well-coated with sweet soy sauce and soy sauce, combined by stirring well. When the steak is cooked, add the beef back into the pot and continue cooking. Serve as soon as possible.
- You can add some bird-eye chilies or chopped red chilies to the mix to add a little heat. Adding a pound of crushed lemongrass will improve the taste. (the white part only).