When it comes to the holiday table, few things are as adaptable and vital as a flawlessly concocted cranberry sauce. Yet, why opt for the store-acquired variety when you can whip up an Orange Cranberry Sauce – Homemade, bursting with vibrant hues, a blend of delightful sweetness and tang? This recipe elevates the traditional cranberry sauce by infusing the zesty vigor of oranges, rendering it an irresistible companion to turkey, ham, or even as a garnish on your morning toast. Infuse some elegance and flavor into your holiday feast with this homemade orange cranberry sauce.
For the Orange Cranberry Sauce:
- 12 oz (340g) fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For Optional Additions:
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare the Cranberries
- Start by rinsing and draining the fresh cranberries to ensure they’re clean.
2. Combine Ingredients in a Pot
- Combine the fresh cranberries, orange zest, freshly squeezed orange juice, granulated sugar, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a medium-sized saucepan.
3. Cook the Mixture
- In a saucepan, bring everything to a low boil over medium heat.
- Once the cranberries have burst and the sauce has thickened, turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer gently for around 10-15 minutes.
4. Optional Additions
- Stir in the chopped pecans or walnuts, dried cranberries, or a dash of vanilla essence for added texture and taste in your Orange Cranberry Sauce. These additions can take your sauce to the next level of deliciousness.
5. Adjust Sweetness and Consistency
- If the sauce is not sweet enough, taste it and add more sugar until it is. Remember that the sauce will develop its full flavor as it cools.
- You can thin the sauce out with water or orange juice if it’s too thick.
6. Cool and Serve
- Take the sauce off the heat when it has the right flavor and consistency.
- When the Orange Cranberry Sauce has cooled to the point where it can be served, transfer it to a serving dish. The sauce will get more thicker as it cools.
7. Garnish and Enjoy
- Before serving, garnish the Orange Cranberry Sauce with a sprinkle of orange zest for an extra burst of citrusy aroma.
The Homemade Orange Cranberry Sauce is a vibrant and delightful addition to any festive meal. This sauce epitomizes a harmonious blend of flavors with its tangy cranberries, zesty orange undertones, and a hint of warm spices. Whether adorning your Thanksgiving turkey or gracing your brunch table, this recipe offers a touch of elegance and an explosion of taste that will delight your palate and your guests.