Within the rich tapestry of Middle Eastern cuisine, Fattoush Salad emerges as a genuine masterpiece. This vibrant and refreshing dish originates from the Levant, melding fresh vegetables, crispy pita chips, and a tangy dressing that dances on your palate. Fattoush Salad is more than just a salad; it’s a tribute to the land’s abundance, celebrating the finesse of balance and the delight in savoring each mouthful. Join us on a culinary excursion as we unravel the secrets to assembling the perfect Fattoush Salad in your kitchen.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens (lettuce, romaine, arugula)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 large pita bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground sumac to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Salad Greens and Vegetables
- Wash and dry the mixed salad greens, then tear them into bite-sized pieces.
- Greens, cherry tomatoes cut in half, cucumber cubes, green bell pepper cubes, red onion slices, and radishes slices should all be combined in a large salad bowl.
2. Make the Pita Chips
- Preheat your oven to 190°C.
- Toss the torn pita bread pieces with olive oil, salt, and ground sumac until they’re well coated.
- The pita pieces should be baked for 10 or 12 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown, after being spread out on a baking pan and seasoned. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
3. Prepare the Dressing
- Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, minced garlic, ground sumac, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. This zesty dressing will be the soul of your Fattoush salad.
4. Assemble the Fattoush Salad
- Add the chopped fresh mint and parsley leaves to the salad bowl with the prepared vegetables.
5. Add Pita Chips and Dressing
- Just before serving, add the crispy pita chips to the salad.
- Drizzle the zesty dressing over the salad and pita chips.
6. Toss and Serve
- Gently toss the Fattoush salad to ensure the flavors are evenly distributed and the dressing coats all the ingredients.
7. Garnish and Enjoy
- Garnish the Fattoush salad with a sprinkle of sumac and a few extra fresh mint or parsley leaves for a vibrant finish.
Fattoush salad is more than a culinary creation; it celebrates nature’s bounty and the art of combining flavors and textures. This dish’s fresh vegetables, tangy dressing, and crunchy pita chips create a symphony of flavor for your palate. Whether eaten as a light lunch, a refreshing side dish, or the centerpiece of a Mediterranean feast, Fattoush salad encourages you to appreciate the purity of fresh, natural flavors. So, gather your ingredients, celebrate the vibrancy of Fattoush, and embark on a journey of culinary delight.