In our culinary journey, if there’s one dish we cherish, it’s the authenticity of Mapo Tofu, radiating the flavor of home-cooked meals. However, on hectic days when life’s pace barely leaves room for elaborate cooking, such comforting and convenient dishes become our go-to lifesavers.
There’s no shame in using a rotisserie chicken rather than roasting one yourself or grabbing a jar of marinara instead of making a sauce from scratch. So, when you’re craving that zesty, spicy flavor of mapo tofu but lack the zest to cook it, enter the life-saver: store-bought mapo tofu sauce. We recently stumbled upon Spicy Element’s Shengchubao Mapo Tofu packet, and, trust us, it’s a game-changer! This sauce, bursting with fiery flavors and spices, can rival any restaurant’s offering. A touch of ground pork, ginger, and garlic, and voila – a plate of tantalizing Mapo Tofu is ready to enthrall your senses.
We’ve even playfully guessed that our local Chinese diner might be secretly using this sauce. It’s that delectable. Sure, opting for this instant solution might earn you the ‘cheat’ tag, but when the result is a plate of deliciously spicy Mapo Tofu, who’s complaining?
- 6 ounces of ground pork
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 5 garlic cloves
- 7 oz. Spicy Element’s Shengchubao Mapo Tofu Sauce packet
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (blended with 1 tablespoon water)
- 24 ounces of silken tofu (soft or firm tofu works as well)
- 1 finely chopped scallion
- 1/2 teaspoon optional Sichuan Peppercorn Powder
- Over medium-high heat, cook the pork in a wok until browned. Disintegrate it using a spatula. Once cooked, infuse with ginger and garlic until fragrant. Integrate the mapo tofu sauce from the packet, stirring well.
- Increase the heat and pour in the water, bringing it to a lively boil.
- Slice the tofu into chunky 1½-inch cubes. Gently mix them into the wok, ensuring the tofu remains intact.
- Stir in the cornstarch blend. Cook till the concoction becomes thick and gleams.
- Allow it to simmer for an additional minute. Serve it piping hot, garnished with scallions and a sprinkle of Sichuan peppercorn powder. Pair with fluffy white rice and enjoy the flavors, knowing you saved precious time!