RICE COOKER RICE WITH CHINESE SAUSAGE (LAP CHEONG FAN)
When you have a few links of lap cheong and a rice cooker in the fridge, this Chinese Sausage Rice Cooker Rice is a lifesaver. We feel silly even calling it a “recipe” because it’s so simple.
Just think of it as a quick and easy dinner option when you’re in a pinch for something quick and easy…and maybe a side of veggies!
IS IT EVEN A RECIPE?
Because it’s so simple, you might not think to record this recipe. Is it possible to call this a recipe? So many Chinese children have grown up creating it without any written directions, including this Chinese kid.
To begin, use the “finger trick” in your rice cooker pot, as taught to you by your parents, older siblings, or grandma/grandpa.
Before you can measure the height of the rice, you first need to flatten it out. You add water to the same level as the rice on your finger after taking a note of where it is.
A few links of Chinese sausage are then added to the saucepan of rice, and the rice cooker is turned on. Dinner is ready in 20 minutes.
However, although we’ve been doing it secretly all our lives, it seemed out of place here on The Woks of Life.
However, it seems like a mistake to leave it out when you think about it.
As a reminder to all the Chinese kids who grew up with it and to introduce it to our readers who didn’t grow up with it, we decided to offer this recipe for cooking Chinese sausage and rice in a rice cooker.
Enjoy any leftovers of lap cheong with this simple recipe.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I DON’T OWN A RICE COOKER?…
Rice cookers are ubiquitous in Chinese households, but we understand if you don’t have one yet.
There’s nothing to be concerned about! You don’t need a rice cooker if you follow our stovetop instructions. The rice cooker version was flawless and straightforward, but we promise this version will be just as simple.
Now for the “recipe” for today.
- jasmine rice
- Chinese Sausage (lap cheong)
DIRECTIONS FOR THE RICE COOKER:
- You can use your rice cooker cup to measure the amount of rice you want to cook. (2 cups is good for 3 people).
- Then, fill the rice cooker with water to the line corresponding to the number of cups you’ve added to the pot. Or, you may just rest your finger on top of the rice and see how high it is, and then add water until it reaches the same height as the rice, using the “finger trick.”
- Toss in the Chinese Sausage (1 link per person is a good bet) and set the rice cooker to warm. It’s possible to cook rice and sausage simultaneously in the same pot! Slicing the sausage and serving it over a bowl of rice
DIRECTIONS FOR THE STOVETOP:
- Measure out the necessary rice and pour it into a medium-sized pot. Make a note of the amount you used. (There are no special tools required for this procedure. Simply use whatever cup or mug you possess.) Soak the rice for 20 minutes in 2 inches of water. Drain the water from the rice once it has soaked. You only need a saucepan of wet rice at this point.
- Pour fresh water into the pot in the same volume as the rice. Toss in the Chinese sausages on top of everything. On medium-high heat, place the saucepan on the stove. To prepare rice, bring water to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the water has evaporated. Slicing the sausage and serving it over a bowl of rice.