When it comes to the holiday season or any hearty meal, well-crafted homemade stuffing can steal the show. With its savory flavors, comforting textures, and the ability to evoke cherished memories, homemade stuffing is an essential dish on the table. This Ultimate Homemade Stuffing Recipe is a homage to tradition, capturing the essence of warmth and togetherness in every bite. Whether serving it alongside roasted turkey or chicken or as a delightful standalone dish, this recipe will guide you in creating a stuffing that’s nothing short of extraordinary.
- 1 loaf of day-old crusty bread (about 1 pound), cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried savory
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup cooked and crumbled sausage
1. Prep the Bread
- Use a day-old crusty bread like French or Italian to achieve the best texture. Cut the bread into ½-inch cubes and leave them to dry for a few hours or overnight.
2. Sauté the Aromatics
- Butter should be melted in a big pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and celery until soft and golden brown, then add them to the pan.
- Minced garlic should be added and cooked for an additional minute until aromatic.
3. Add the Herbs and Seasonings
- Incorporate the dried sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley, marjoram, savory, salt, and black pepper into the onion and celery mixture. Stir well to release the aromatic flavors.
4. Combine with Bread
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sautéed aromatics with the bread cubes. Toss gently to distribute the flavors evenly.
5. Add Optional Ingredients
- Add optional additions like dried cranberries, chopped nuts, or cooked and crumbled sausage if desired.
6. Add Moisture
- Gradually pour the chicken or vegetable broth over the bread mixture, ensuring it’s evenly moistened but not soggy.
- Gently fold in the beaten eggs, which will help bind the stuffing during baking.
7. Transfer to Baking Dish
- Preheat your oven to 175°C.
- Press the stuffing mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish or other oiled casserole dish.
8. Bake to Perfection
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes with the baking dish covered with aluminum foil.
- After 20 minutes, take off the foil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden and crisp.
9. Serve and Savor
- Once the stuffing is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
- Scoop generous portions onto plates and enjoy the comfort and nostalgia that come with every mouthful.
The Ultimate Homemade Stuffing Recipe is more than just a side dish; it’s a journey into the heart of comfort and tradition. This stuffing is a culinary marvel because of how its flavors, textures, and ingredients complement one another. Whether you’re sharing a festive holiday feast or a simple family dinner, this stuffing will undoubtedly be the centerpiece that creates cherished memories and satisfied smiles.