There’s a compelling allure when the Vietnamese Banh Mi Meets classic burger, a fusion I’ve often pondered upon. As an avid food enthusiast, my understanding felt somewhat limited, but intrigue grew. Watching Sarah artfully craft the pickled mix of radish, carrot, and jalapeño, our discussion delved deep into this creation’s essence: the pickled components and the signature bread.
Hence, when Sarah floated the notion of a banh mi-inspired burger, I was both skeptical and intrigued. But, astonishingly, the light and airy Cobblestone Bread Co.™ burger bun we opted for gracefully embraced this fusion concept. The allure of crafting a “banh mi burger” felt whimsically poetic.
What distinguishes this burger is its departure from the conventional heavy toppings. It resonates with those summer moments when the heat might deter you from a greasy treat. This fusion creation elegantly marries the sizzle of a summertime grill with the zest and crunch of fresh, tangy garnishes. Envision a juicy beef patty adorned with pickled veggies, complemented by the aromatic trio of mint, cilantro, and Thai basil.
On a related tangent, there’s an unmistakable charm to grilling. Our family’s trusted companion has been a reliable gas grill. However, the Big Green Egg®, fueled by natural wood charcoal, has won us over. Its prowess in infusing a subtle smoky flavor and yielding a perfect sear is unparalleled. The crowning touch? The Cobblestone Bread Co.™ buns, which achieve a dreamy toasted perfection on this grill, almost miraculously.
Enough with my musings; it’s time to embark on this culinary adventure!
- 2 carrots (either julienned or spiralized)
- A handful of radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional for that kick!)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup creamy mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha or sambal for the heat
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 ½ pounds (680g) ground beef (aim for 80% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil for a smooth grilling experience
- 4 slices of rich cheddar cheese
- 4 delectable Kaiser Rolls
- Fresh Mint, Thai basil, and cilantro for the aromatic touch
Steps to a Fusion Delight:
1. Toss the carrots, radishes, and jalapeño with vinegar and sugar in a bowl. In another vessel, whip together the mayonnaise, garlic, Sriracha, and lime juice. Season to taste and set both mixtures aside.
2. Segment the beef into four portions. Mold each into ¾ inch thick patties, pressing a slight depression in the center. Season and lightly brush with oil.
3. Heat your grill to a high temperature. Grill each burger side for about 3 minutes until they achieve a golden-charred texture. Flip, repeat, add cheese, and let it melt for another minute (adjust for your preferred level of cooking).
4. Simultaneously, let those rolls gain a light toasty touch on the grill.
5. Now, for the assembly. Slather that spicy mayo onto your toasted rolls, crown with the beef patty, and layer with the pickled veggies and fresh herbs. Dive in and enjoy this East meets West delight!