These homemade oven-baked French fries are a tasty snack or side dish garnished with salt and vinegar. The best side dish ever: crispy, healthy, and low in calories, these French fries are a must-have!
In general, healthy diets avoid deep-fried foods, but it’s difficult for most of us to give up our beloved French fries.
It’s impossible not to love these oven-baked fries. With this easy recipe, you will enjoy incredibly healthy and tasty fries minus the bad stuff with just the help of your oven. In addition, you will enjoy a sour, salty, and vinegary flavor since the recipe includes a mix of salt and vinegar, making it taste just like a bag of chips!
To make oven-baked French fries, you’ll need to go through two steps.
- It would help if you prepared first the salt and vinegar seasoning and then brought them to a rolling boil.
- Next is to cut the potatoes into French fry shapes and cook them in water seasoned with the seasonings of choice. At this point, you can bake the fries into the oven. This method can add the salt and vinegar flavors to the fries.
Baking the fries increases their crispness while maintaining their fluffiness.
To bake french fries, how long do you bake them for?
- At 450°F or 232°C, it takes 30 minutes to cook fries in the oven.
- Bake the fries for 20 minutes before removing them from the oven to ensure they are crispy on both sides. Bake the fries for an additional ten minutes after flipping them over. Crisp, golden-brown fries will be the final product.
Tips from the Chief:
How can you get your baked French fries to be even crispier? Here are some tried-and-true strategies that I’d like to share with you.
- Use baking sheets, but don’t use parchment paper to protect them.
- Ensure the sheets are well-oiled, and then heat them for 5 minutes in the oven until they are boiling (but not smoking).
- Bake the potatoes by laying them out on the sheets. While potatoes bake in the oven, the sizzle and crisp from the heat of the baking sheets will enhance the crispiness of the fries.
At what temperatures are fries best baked?
- 450°F or 232°C.
What is the average number of calories per serving?
- Each serving of this recipe contains only 438 calories.
With this recipe, what are its complementary dishes?
You can pair baked fries with main dishes with heavy protein. I recommend the following recipes for a nutritious and convenient weeknight meal.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 6 cups water for boiling
- chopped parsley for garnishing
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (3 lbs. / 1.5 kg) large russet potatoes, skin on, scrubbed, cut into fries shape
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. Let the vinegar, salt, and water boil in a large pot over high heat.
- Use paper towels to cover the two baking sheets. Boil the potatoes for 8 minutes in salted water. Use a spoon to remove the potatoes, careful not to break them. Place the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. With paper towels, gently pat the surface dry. Allow for cooling.
- Toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of oil and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Spread the remaining oil evenly between the two baking sheets, with 2 tablespoons per baking sheet used. Distribute the oil on the surface in a slick layer. For 5 minutes, bake the oil sheets in the oven. Take out the oven-baked sheets and quickly layer the potatoes on top of each other, one layer at a time.
- Bake the fries for 20 minutes if you want the bottom to be brown and crispy. Bake the fries for an additional 10 minutes after removing the baking sheets from the oven. Then add salt and chopped parsley to taste before serving. Serve the ketchup right away.