Indulge in the Ultimate Dessert Fantasy
Picture yourself savoring a bourbon banana cream pie, where creamy textures meld with sweet, ripe banana notes and the rich smokiness of bourbon. What a feast for the senses! This spin on the timeless banana cream pie gives your dessert repertoire a spirited uplift, promising an unforgettable treat that has you reaching for another slice.
- 1 ¾ cups of finely crushed graham crackers (vanilla wafers, ginger snaps, or digestive biscuits can be alternatives)
- 1 stick butter (equivalent to 8 tablespoons or 115 grams, melted; divided)
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk (either 2% or whole milk)
- 3 whisked egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons of rich vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of bold bourbon (divided)
- 4-5 juicy ripe bananas (sliced)
- 3/4 cup of indulgent heavy cream (also known as whipping cream)
Steps to Heavenly Bliss
- Kickstart your oven to a cozy 350 degrees. Mix the crushed cookie crumbs with 6 tablespoons (or 85 grams) of your melted butter till it feels like soft wet sand. Gently press this concoction into a standard pie plate. Give it a short bake for about 5 minutes and then set aside for a peaceful cool-down.
- Time for some magic! In your favorite saucepan, swirl together 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and that pinch of salt. Start heating this mixture over a medium flame and slowly, bit by bit, introduce the milk. The key here is to constantly stir as the mixture warms up and starts thickening. Once you see it bubbling, let it dance for another 2 minutes before taking it off the heat.
- Here’s a trick: take about 1/4 cup of this hot mix and blend it with the whisked egg yolks. Then pour this egg yolk combination back into the hot mixture. Over a low flame, let them get to know each other for about 2 minutes, but keep stirring! Then introduce it to the remaining butter, the vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of bourbon. Stir until it’s dreamily smooth. Let this cool till it whispers your name.
- Once the crust is rested, layer it with slices of those lush bananas. Pour the cool, velvety pudding mixture over the bananas. Protect it with a cover and let it chill in your fridge for an hour.
- Whip up some magic next! Ensure your cream is cold, especially if it’s a warm day. Here’s a tip: keep the mixing bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice. Whip this cream with the remaining sugar and bourbon till it holds up in soft peaks.
- Anoint your pie with this whipped dream and garnish with some crumbled cookie magic. For the perfect slice, let it relax in the fridge for another 20-30 minutes.
Seal the Deal with Some Fun Facts
Did you know that bananas are one of the world’s most popular fruits? Originating in Southeast Asia, they are a powerhouse of essential vitamins and minerals, especially potassium. And when it comes to bourbon, its deep roots trace back to the 18th century in the USA. Aged in charred oak barrels, it gains its distinct flavor, making it a perfect companion for our beloved bananas. So, every slice of this pie not only offers a burst of flavors but also a slice of history and nutrition!