Lightning. a meteorological event? The ideal simile for this chicken and rice dish, perhaps? If you’re like me and find yourself at home cooking for one in the middle of the day with a raging appetite, this super-fast chicken and rice dish is the perfect solution.
You can have this delicious dish in your bowl by chopping up a few items and retrieving some previously cooked rice. This dish for Poached Chicken w/ Ginger Scallion Oil shows how the scallion and ginger complement the chicken beautifully, making the chicken rice something truly remarkable.
Here, you can enjoy the same taste in much less time. The nicest part is that you can eat it without any chopsticks. Just use a spoon to delve in; it’s okay with us. We did!
- 2 chicken thighs (chop into small chunks)
- 3-5 chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1 chopped scallion (both white and green parts)
- 1 chopped carrot
- 3 cups of cooked white rice
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2/3 cup of fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of shaoxing wine
- 1-2 teaspoons of minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- salt and white pepper
- Put a spoonful of oil into your wok and set it over medium-high heat. Get a decent sear on one side by adding the chicken to the pan and letting it cook. Wait until it’s browned before stirring.
- Brown the chicken for another 2 minutes, remove it from the pan, and set it aside.
- The wok needs another tablespoon of oil, so add the scallion and ginger to the pan. Toss in the carrots and mushrooms during the final 30 seconds of cooking. Fresh peas should be added with the carrots and mushrooms if you’re using them.
- The peas should be added after the carrot and mushrooms have softened slightly (around 2 minutes in the case of frozen ingredients).
- After the veggies have cooked for three minutes, add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, wine, and chicken stock. To reduce liquid by half, bring to a boil and let bubble for another 2–3 minutes while stirring regularly. Add salt and white pepper to taste after tasting the sauce.
- When the rice and chicken are done cooking, remove them from the heat and toss them together until they are completely incorporated.