Marinated with cilantro and Asian flavors, this Malaysian fried chicken is crispy and juicy. It’s scrumptious!
Malaysian cuisine is among the world’s best, and I say this without any favoritism.
To understand what I mean, you must have visited Malaysia.
When it comes to our food, we instantly win over the foodies. Because I take him back to Malaysia every summer, little G can attest that Malaysian food is excellent.
It is his favorite dish at the Malaysian Belacan Fried Chicken restaurant. Having fried chicken for dinner made his face light up when I mentioned it.
Belacan is a type of shrimp paste commonly used in Malaysian cuisine. We use belacan in our cooking in the same way that fish sauce is used in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine.
Shrimp sauce in a bottle, not a brick, is what you need for this recipe. If you’re a fan of Thai Fried Chicken, you’ll love our Malaysian Belacan Chicken.
This dish only requires a few ingredients.
For me, Asian fried chicken is the only option. Enjoy!
What is the average number of calories in one serving?
- Each serving of this recipe contains only 312 calories.
With this recipe, what are its complementary dishes?
I’ve compiled a collection of recipes that are both healthy and quick enough to prepare on a weeknight.
- Lotus Root Soup
- Braised Bean Curd with Mushrooms (Firm Tofu)
- Asam Pedas Fish
- Napa Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon shrimp sauce
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 small (20 oz./600 g) chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cilantro stems juice
- After rinsing the chicken under running water, pat it dry with paper towels. Set aside for later. Cilantro juice can be made by snipping off the bottom two inches of the plant (the stems). Pound the stems in a mortar and pestle and squeeze the juice out of them by hand.
- Use an electric mixer to smooth up the shrimp sauce’s mixture in an extra-large bowl. Marinate the chicken for 4-6 hours before serving.
- Prepare a pot of cooking oil or use a deep fryer when you’re ready. Gently place the chicken into the hot oil and cook it until it is crispy and golden brown (the inside should cook thoroughly but remains juicy). Line a platter with paper towels to remove any extra oil from the fried chicken.
- With chili sauce, serve the fried chicken right away.